Paintings | 17th Century | Hendrik Frans Van Lint | View of the Tiber next to San Giovanni dei Fiorentini | Artwork profile

34 x 59,5 cm
Oil on canvas


Report

View of the Tiber next to San Giovanni dei Fiorentini

Hendrik Frans Van Lint

The subject

This stretch of the Tiber River was particularly dear to the Flemish painter who depicted it in various paintings and lighting conditions. The views Van Lint painted of the Church of St. John of the Florentines are nearer to the church than the same views portrayed by Van Wittel. This series of works was created before the architect Alessandro Galilei, under the direction of Pope Clement XII Corsini, completed the façade of the church in 1734.

On the side of the Tiber opposite from the church, the Janiculum, Palazzo Salviati and houses along the Lungara are clearly visible.


The painting

Of Flemish origin but Italian by adoption, Hendrik Van Lint reached his full potential in the papal city where he was introduced to Vedutist painting by his compatriot Gaspar Van Wittel, an established artist and longtime resident of Rome and with whom Van Lint collaborated for a certain period of time. Detaching himself from the artistic influence of his father Pieter, who remained connected to Nordic influenced tastes and styles, Hendrick found himself a place among the multitudes of Vedutist painters who appeared on the Roman scene in the early 18th century. Thanks to a collaboration with Van Wittel, his fame grew quickly, though he was never admitted into the Accademia di San Luca, perhaps due to the jealousy of Van Wittel himself, who feared his fame would be obscured by Hendrik’s charisma.

In a family of fine painters, Hendrik was the only Vedutist in the purest sense of the term, as his son Giacomo, who nevertheless received lessons from his father, concentrated primarily on topographical painting that was always painted from life.